Thursday, February 26, 2009

Imaginary Friends

My dad has often talked about how much he LOVED his bed when he was a little kid and how he would pretend the foot of the bed was his bunker and he'd have pretend battles like Davy Crockett. It was a metal frame bed with a rounded end, so that he could peek between the slats and lay his enemy to waste. When he was a very little boy he created an imaginary friend named Millie. Millie was a boy and he was completely convinced Millie was real. They played together a lot and good 'ole Millie would always be the last to die in the battles he played. He was George Russell to his Davy. About a year after Millie came into his life another boy named Janice was invented when he was down in the basement one day. He just decided that Janice would be part of their group. Then Clauken came a little later as he was playing outside and realized he needed a third. These three boys, though imaginary, were his best pals and would join him when he played. But, as Davy Crockett, many of his boys were dying, so he eventually created another group of 3 friends. They weren't nearly as important as Millie, Janice, and Clauken, but were still part of his circle. They were Chicken, Micken, and Thicken. They came along when he was around 5 or 6. He played with all of them until he was 8 yrs old or so, but by that time had come to understand they weren't REALLY real. But, they were too much fun to push aside. This was all before they had a tv, so he didn't just sit and watch cartoons all day like the kids of today. He used his imagination and had a lot of fun doing it, it seems. :-) Sometimes his brother Carl would join him and they'd push their beds together (they shared a room downstairs that later became my grandma's room) and fight and wrestle and have their battles. They used their toy guns and rifles to fight against their foes and, of course, Davy would always be the victor. No one really knows what happened to these loyal friends of his. They probably left dad once they realized that he had named them after girls and farm animals. But, they were his faithful comrads in arms for many years and filled my dad's days with fun. If I remember, I'll ask him whatever happened to that bed, that saw so many bloody sieges. Maybe it was donated to a war museum for its valiance in staying in one piece after the many, many battles inflicted on it by one creative little boy. But, that's the first glimpse into the life of my dad. And, now when you see him talking and there's no one in the room, you won't think he's crazy, you'll just think "hmmm..I wonder if Clauken has returned?".

3 comments:

  1. I should probably BLOG this comment. Regarding that bed. I recall it was a trundle bed, and I remember the day it arrived. It wouldn't do using it as a trundle because the boys wouldn't sleep. After about a week of shouting at the boys to "get to sleep" it was decided to take the trundle apart and put one bed on one side of the room (the upper part of the trundle) and the other part (the lower part) was put on the other side of the room. The boys still had difficulty getting to sleep without being yelled at, but hey, they were boys.

    I recall, also, the gunfights at the Alamo. I didn't know about the "friends" though.

    By the time my brothers were having gunfights, I had hung up my guns and moved on to more girly things. I was quite good at twirling my pistols and landing them in my holsters. I even had gun drawing contests with my brother, Mark, and I always won. Of course, he was only 4 at the time, and I was at least 8 or 9.

    I also see that my brother had a good sense for naming things, just like this father. My dad, your grandfather, had pet names for my children. Where they ever came from, I don't know, but my children will always remember being Mavis, Maude, and McGirk -- not Becky, Cyndi, and Phil.

    See? I told you I should have made this a BLOG, now I'll have nothing for RR tomorrow. Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention, that bed did not end up in any museum, it probably ended up in the Runnemede dump, I'm afraid. All I know is, when I left home, that bed left home as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Lori, you have SUCH a great writing style! I need to get a few reams of paper and print all of these up and bind them in book form. I love your BLOGs and Aunt Judi's. Thanks for doing them, sweeties!! love you bunches!
    jenn

    ReplyDelete