Thursday, May 7, 2009

John Mark Drexler - the Early Years



Dad's been busy this week with a funeral he had today for my brother-in-law's grandpa who passed away on Sunday, so I haven't tried talking to him this week because of that. So, I thought I'd just post a couple pictures I found when we were in IN back in April. I know there's not a whole lot he could probably even tell me about these pictures, because they were both taken in 1948 and he was just so young then. The top one, he looks to be 6-7m old. Since he was born in Aug, this would be late winter/early spring - thus the coat. You can see in the background is the church that his dad pastored for over 50 yrs. I loved going to that little church when we were in Runnemede on vacations. I don't think I ever actually heard my grandpa preach, because he always had my dad do it when we were there, but it was a very warm and welcoming congregation and you could always see the love they had for my dad and likewise for my mom and for us. I haven't been to that church since my grandpa's memorial service was held there 9 years ago, but it will always have a special place in the hearts of those who went there. Particularly my dad and his family.
The next picture, like I said, was also taken in 1948, but I'm guessing dad is probably about 1 here. He's being supported by his oldest sister Judi and his sister Debbie is behind him. I'm guessing grandma was pregnant with his brother about this time, because I think they are only a little over a year apart. But, I could be wrong on that one. My grandma was never supposed to be able to have children and for the first few years of their marriage, they didn't. But, then ended up having 4 children. All within a few years. So, they were really blessed to have the family they did. And, those Drexler kids were just soooo cute! I love looking at pictures of my dad and his brother and sisters back then. Just adorable! I need to ask him sometime when his birth stats were. I wonder if he even remembers. I just know he was born on August 23, 1947 and he was the first boy of the family. His mom wanted to name him "Mark" and his dad wanted to name him "John", so they named him "John Mark" and called him "Mark". That's why if you ever meet someone from NJ or anyone in his family, they all call him "Mark". It wasn't until he went to college, that he started going by John. I think he started doing that at PCB (Philadelphia College of Bible - now called something else) and not later at Grace College, where he went to seminary. He met my mom at PCB and she's always called him John, so I think he must've started that there. Anyway, just a little something to share this week about my dad, since I haven't been able to chat with him lately. I always love sharing pictures. I think it helps bring our families and stories to life more. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Don't you think Livie looks like him in that upper picture? Just a little? He was not a bad baby. I remember one time he had just fallen asleep in his crib and I went in and patted him on the back and he woke up and started to cry. My mom was so mad at me for waking him up, even though I denied that I had done anything to wake him up. After all, mom patted him on the back to get him to sleep, so why would patting him on the back wake him up?

    Did you know that when he was about 5 or 6 he had pleurosy and was very, very sick. My father was so worried about him. I think we almost lost him that time, remember how my mom was crying all the time and dad was just sitting in the bedroom with him, wiping him down and trying to help him through the coughing sessions. It was one of the few times my dad actually called a real doctor to come in to see one of the children. That was back when doctors still made house calls.

    I recall at that time that my father was just praying and calling on God to spare his son. It was scarey for me, not knowing what was really going on, and Mark being so little and so sick.

    Regarding the ages. Mark is 18 months older than Carl, and Debbie is 18 months older than Mark. I am three years older than Debbie. I think I was supposed to be an only child. And I was treated as such until all the other kids arrived. Even afterward I knew I was sort of a favorite until the first boy was born. A son for my father. He was so glad to have a son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that he was so close in age to Mama. i always thought there were 3 years between her and Aunt Judi and then 3 years between her and Uncle Mark. Ah, my family history skills...
    I think that the top pic looks like pictures of Maddie. Especially when she's trying on glasses or something else really cute. Your kids are all soooo adorable!
    I Love ya!!!!

    ReplyDelete