Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Uncle Joe Egitto 1915-2009


This is a picture of my dad's Uncle Joe. He had two uncles. Uncle Joe "Sprat" Sbaraglia, his mom's brother, and Uncle Joe Egitto, who was married to his mom's closest sister Anne. His Uncle Joe died yesterday morning at the age of 94. Dad has lots of great memories of him and though he hadn't really spoken much to him in the past couple of decades, those memories mean so much to him. I've mentioned before about how Uncle Joe would take them to the shore. It's in the entry just a couple below this one. Talking about how his Uncle Joe would pile everyone into his brand new 1957 Chevy, drive them down to the shore (which was a treat, because neither my grandma or my grandpa ever drove). He'd take them out to lunch, buy them taffy, and even give them spending money. He was always patient with them and always kind. The word dad uses all the time when talking about Uncle Joe Egitto is "kind". :-) I actually just found out in reading my aunt's blog and talking to dad tonight that Uncle Joe was an accomplished violinist. I never knew that. You see, I never met either of my Uncle Joes. My Uncle Joe Sprat passed away before I was born. Then Uncle Joe Egitto had split up from my Aunt Anne also before I was born. But, I remember looking through my Aunt Anne's albums and seeing a picture of their wedding day and they were such a beautiful couple. He was incredibly handsome and she was so beautiful, though she never thought she was. And, since I never knew him, it's fun to hear how special he was and kind he was to my dad and his siblings. I also found out that he was a very spiritual guy. Knew his bible backwards and forwards, I'm told. It's so awesome to hear about the strong group of christians that were a part of my family. I'm so thankful for that foundation - not just with my parents, but my grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc.. on both sides of my family. What a legacy to carry on. Pretty special. Dad talked to him for the last time about a year ago and though it was a short conversation, he said he was glad to hear from him and I'm sure he holds the same memories that dad has. I wish I had had the opportunity to get to know him like I did my Aunt Anne, who I loved so very much. But, I know that one day I'll get to meet him in heaven. So, Uncle Joe, it's been fun to hear about you and hear how great you were to my dad and his family. I can only begin to imagine the joy and wonder you are now experiencing in the sight of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment