Saturday, March 14, 2009

Boxing With Grandpa

My grandpa wasn't a guy who would sit on the floor and play with you. He was a teacher and a very intellectual kind of guy. A deeply religious man, who led the same church for over 50 yrs and could tell you anything you wanted to know about the Bible. He wasn't a hugger and would just pat you on the arm and smile. He wasn't the typical grandpa, but boy did I love him! Well, he was the same way as a father. He loved his kids, but wasn't the type who would sit and play with them often. Dad does remember some of the times he'd play with them. He said he was always fond of cap guns, so dad and Carl would hide from him and then shoot him with their cap guns. He said it was always fun! One of the times he decided to box with his boys. He took dad and Carl downstairs to the basement and had them all put on some boxing gloves (he did as well) and would bat away their punches. Smiling and having a good time, watching his boys try to get a punch in. Gently pushing them back and throwing little swats their way. That is until Carl DID get a punch in, and that's all it took. Gramps pummeled him into the ground, threw off his gloves, and said, "I'm done" and went back upstairs, leaving poor Carl dazed and confused on the ground. They ended up sticking with cap guns fights after that. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like my husband with my kids. Heeheehee. I laughed so hard I have tears in my eyes. Thanks for sharing these with us!!
    love ya!!
    jen

    ReplyDelete