Thursday, March 12, 2009

More on Ramar

I got more information tonight about the story I mentioned briefly below about how dad and his younger brother Carl were taking knives to the doorframe. Here's what dad told me tonight...

On Sunday nights, there was church and sometimes they would get to stay home while either his sister Judi or Debbie watched them. The infamous night of "Ramar of the Jungle" was just one of those nights. Dad said he was around 10 at the time, which meant Carl was a year or so younger. He said looking back, he thinks they were a little tipsy when it happened, because they had been drinking some bottles of bronchial drops that Gramps had, as well as some alfalka (he said it's some kind of energy drink that was almost pure alcohol). When I asked why in the heck they would be drinking bronchial drops, he said it's because it tasted good. Weirdos. Anyway, they got it in their head to pretend to be Ramar of the Jungle. Some television show they watched back then. Judi was at church, so Debbie was watching them and he said they could get away with a lot with her. So, they took out butcher knives and started hacking away at the doorframe of the kitchen. Debbie sat in fear on the counter in the kitchen, thinking her brothers had lost their minds. He said he's shocked they didn't somehow cut themselves or each other they way they were swining them around! Then his older sister Judi came home and saw what they had done. Carl started chasing her with the knife, so she ran to the church to get grandma. When they saw she had left to tell on them, they hurried and put the knives away and gathered up all the chunks of door that were on the floor and tried to pretend nothing had happened. Grandma came home and saw what they had done, but didn't do much at that point, because some of the church members were coming over. He says he doesn't really remember much about what happened after that. He just knows that somehow his dad found out and that they were severely punished. Guess he blocked that out. That or BLACKED out, one of the two. So, that's the full story as he remembers it. About how they chopped through the doorframe jungle one drunken night when he was 10. Oh, and of course, it was all Carl's idea. Right? ;-)

4 comments:

  1. I don't quite remember it that way. I'm sure I was the one that was home with the brats, er, boys. Debbie was only one year older than Mark, and I don't recall that she ever babysat them. It may have happened the way he says it happened, but I think it happened the way I related it in Runnemede Remembered last week. I thought I was practicing the piano when the rampage began. And I didn't think they were as old as 10 and 9, or 11 and 10.


    And I don't remember your father and his brother getting high on bronchial drops. I have to admit I did love the taste of them. I used to cough on purpose just so dad would dose me up with them. The Alfalco, not so much. It had a more bitter taste, so I rarely admitted to feeling tired -- it was supposed to restore iron poor tired blood, or something like that.

    And, it probably was Carl's idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's what he told me happened. I'm sure it happened a little of both ways. He just remembers he wasn't quite in his right mind because they had been sneaking drinks of the drops. Just can't even imagine what would possess a child to take knives to a doorframe!! I don't know how your mom and dad made it with those crazy boys!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, if you ever talk to Debbie or Carl, see if they remember that night. I bet it would be hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the Bronchial drops, too growing up. Though we never thought to get soused on them. Too funny! I love this BLOG. Through you and Aunt Judi, I feel like I'm finally getting to know my family.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete