Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Christmastime

Every year Santa would set up a booth in Freddy's parking lot, a local bar. They would climb up into this booth, sit on Santa's lap, and tell him what they wanted. Then he would give you a candy cane. Not a little candy cane, like you often see today, but a large candy cane. When dad was a teenager, he would go up there just to get that candy cane. Santa was on to him by then though, because as soon as dad would walk up there, Santa would just hand him the cane. He wouldn't bother asking what he wanted for Christmas. Just knew he was there for the cane. :-) Anyway, there was a time where, if you told them where you lived and stuff, they would bring Santa around in a firetruck and he would bring you one of the things you asked for. How awesome is that?! They didn't do it every year or anything, but the few times they did were memorable ones for my dad.

2 comments:

  1. I remember those firetruck santas. And we always got something pretty nice. Girls usually got a doll and the boys a truck. One year we all got games. I think that started our family rivalry around the table. We used to play games a lot, and Aunt Annie was the best game player with us there was. She always seemed to enjoy herself so much when she played with her nieces and nephews. They were good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when we would spend the night at Aunt Anne's house. I would be upstairs, trying to fall asleep, but all I would hear would be the hysterical laughter of my parents and Aunt Anne as they played Scrabble until all hours of the night. She was such a riot and they lived for those times when they would play together. I waited for the day I was old enough to play along with them. Sadly, that time never came. But, boy, she was something special. I loved her to pieces. I hope she knew that.

    ReplyDelete