Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Did He Deserve It?

When dad's sister Judi was about 13 yrs old, she came running frantically into the house, screaming, "Mommy! Mommy!" My dad was scared to death. Convinced that whatever it was that made Judi freak out like that had to be horrific! He thought for sure his dad had had a heart attack or something awful like that. Dad comes running out to see what happened and he hears his sister tell his mom, "Diddle tried to run me over with his bike!" ("Diddle" was her nickname for their little brother Carl). So all this commotion, that led him to believe his father had met his early demise, was just his little brother torturing his sister - apparently a fairly common occurrence. He got so mad at Carl for causing all this anxiety in him, that he promptly went out and beat him up. Just to make sure he knew not to scare him like that again! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. What's even worse is that poor Diddle was so young he didn't know that he was "trying to kill me." I had set up the trick, I was going to be a circus star and was going to jump over a rope that he was holding taut across the sidewalk. Instead, I fell head over heals onto the pavement. THEN I went inside to get him into trouble. Poor kid. He didn't have a chance. I feel bad about that to this day. it's probably my fault he was such a rowdy teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, isn't that the job of the older sister? To torment their younger siblings? I know I took that stance. ;-)

    ReplyDelete