Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Chronicles of Mr. Elliason - Part 1

I was talking to my dad today and many stories came up about his 7th grade teacher Mr. Elliason. So, I've decided to split them up into separate entries, since I feel they each deserve their own space. I'll start with his first run in with Mr. Elliason. The first of many that year. Now, to give you an idea of who his teacher was, he was a former marine. Dad thinks he was a marine during the Korean War, because he was a young guy and the year was 1959. He was big and tough and hard. Not someone you would think to mess with. But, dad apparently didn't seem intimidated. Anyway, the first run in came around Christmas time. They were getting ready for their christmas program and were all in class together, singing "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" in latin. Dad wanted to sing it with gusto, so he was singing loudly. QUITE loudly - and obnoxiously I might add. So much louder was he than the rest of the kids, it grabbed Mr. Elliason's attention. "Drexler, sing it right! " he said to my dad. Dad apparently didn't heed that warning, because he continued to sing it loudly and disruptively. Mr. Elliason stopped the singing, grabbed dad and put him in the cloak room, which was the room by the classroom with 2 entry doors and hooks for their coats and stuff. "I don't want to see you!! I don't want to hear you until this is over!!!!" he shouted at dad, then left to go back to the singing practice. Again, dad didn't take this too seriously, because as soon as the singing started up again, dad joined in with as much gusto as before. Singing with all his might in that little cloak room. Mr. Elliason came back in, furious, and beat dad all the ways till Sunday. Even tried hanging him on one of the hooks in that room. He had had it with dad and he let him know it!! You would think this would've given dad some clue as to how to behave with this teacher of his. That he would know that his 7th grade teacher wasn't someone you messed with. But, as the "Chronicles" continue, you'll see - well - dad didn't learn his lesson that day and poor Mr. Elliason was in for a very LONG year with my father.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, come on. The teacher didn't beat him both sides of Sunday. Proper procedure was to send an unruly, disruptive pre-teen to the principal's office and there the principal would beat the kid both sides of Sunday with a yard stick. Ask him about the principals at Runnemede Public Schools -- Mrs. French and Miss Levick. I guess the principal when he finally made it to seventh grade was Mr. Somebody (Can't remember his name because he wasn't there when I was attending Runnemede Public).

    And then -- AND THEN -- the principal would call my father and tell dad what happened, and then when Mark (or Carl) got home they got it again, three times of Sunday!!!!!

    I'm sorry, you just didn't want a teacher or principal to call our house to report on the activities of one of the children. It was not a fun time for the siblings or the object of the principal's wrath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, when dad says "the teacher beat the heck out of me", I'm sure there's a bit of exaggeration there. But, he said it wasn't the principal who did gave him that punishment. It was the teacher. Though, in later stories, you'll hear how the principal got in on the action too. ;-) He couldn't remember the name of the Bingham School principal either. He thought you'd remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the principal at Bingham was Miss Levick. She was the sweetest lady, but always carried a yard stick with her. :)

    Mrs French was the principal (when I was there) at the school across the street, Downing, and she wasn't nice. I never liked her. No reason, really, she just didn't impress me as being a caring person, unlike Miss Levick.

    Also Miss Levick went to church every Sunday (not ours) and she got credits for that.

    Ask him about Aunt Nellie. See if he remembers who she was.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told dad that you didn't believe that Mr. Elliason beat him up. He said, "He did too!!! Well, I cried anyway." ;-) hahaha

    ReplyDelete