Saturday, April 4, 2009

Chronicles of Mr. Elliason - Part 3

Dad was goofing around at his desk, trying to make the people around him laugh when he suddenly came up with a brillant idea! "I’m gonna set my desk on fire" he told his friends. "No way!" "You’ll never do that" where the quick replies. One kid dared him to and that’s all it took for him to carry out his plan. He took a straight match and some paperwork and lit it on fire and placed it on his desk. It was only burning for a few seconds when he patted it out. Ashes were lying around and he kind of broke off the blackened pieces. Mr. Elliason then called for the class to line up. As he was walking by the desks though, something grabbed his attention. "I smell sulfer. Like someone lit a match." Everyone looked around like nothing was amiss. "No one leaves this room until someone tells me who tried to set something on fire! I don’t care if it’s 6 o’clock!" One of the students said, "I’ll tell you!" "No…No…no. Let them go," dad valiantly said., as if he were hero, ready to right all wrong. "I did it. I’ll take my punishment." The kids shuffled out, many waiting downstairs waiting to see if dad would come out….alive. Mr. Elliason didn’t beat up dad. He just sat there and looked at him. "I just feel so badly for your father that he has you for a son." he sighed. "What is wrong with you? I could get you expelled for life!" Dad was getting a little scared. Expelled for life? Grandpa had already threatened to send him away to like military school or something. This was not going well. "I won’t do it though. I wouldn’t do that to your father. ……… Just get out of here." And dad took the cue and left. Quickly. I can only imagine after facing Korea, what Mr. Elliason must’ve thought of having dad in his class.

1 comment:

  1. reminds me of the time a classmate caught his mustache on fire... also a dare - for some reason (growth hormones in the milk? he hadn't been kept back) my jr. high classmate did indeed have a mustache. He was doing the circus trick of putting lighter fluid in his mouth and poofing it out while lighting the lighter, miscalculated & got a fireball. He was in big trouble and in pain.LOL. crazy boys!

    ReplyDelete